(309) 266-5361 Village Hall - 120 North Main Street Morton, Illinois 61550

Planning & Community Development




Zack Davis

Zoning & Code Enforcement Officer

309-266-5361, ext. 2239




The Zoning and Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Morton Zoning Ordinance, providing staff support to the Plan Commission and the Zoning Board of Appeals, ensuring compliance with various building codes, performing code enforcement activities, plat and subdivision review with respect to assuring all requirements are met before a plat is signed and filed, computes fees due the Village in relation to planning and zoning such as annexation or development fees.

The Village of Morton has adopted the following building codes.  Please reference this family of codes regarding construction and property maintenance codes.

2015 International Building Code
2015 International Residential Code
2015 International Existing Building Code
2015 International Mechanical Code
2015 International Fire Code
2015 International Property Maintenance Code
2018 International Conservation Code
2014 National Electrical Code
Illinois Plumbing Code (Most Current Edition)

Any electrical job in excess of one thousand dollars($1,000.00) or any increase in the electrical service, will require a permit and appropriate inspections.  All electrical permits will be in effect for no more than 18 months or until a final inspection has been completed.  Electrical permits shall be non-assignable.

No electrician shall install any electrical equipment, systems, components, or materials without first having obtained a certificate of registration to do so from the Village of Morton, Tazewell County, Illinois.

A certificate of registration is not required for residential work provided the work is being done solely by the owner of the subject property.  All electrical equipment must be install in compliance with the National Electric Code.

All new construction, alterations, or modifications to existing plumbing will require a permit and inspection if anything is being moved any distance.  No permit or inspection will be required if the contractor is only resetting fixtures back to their exact location.  All plumbing permits will be in effect for no more than eighteen (18) months or until a final inspection has been completed.  Plumbing permits shall be non-assignable.  A property owner may do plumbing work on his or her own property in the residential zoning district only.  All commercial plumbing work must be done by a State of Illinois licensed plumber.  All plumbing work must be done in accordance with the Illinois State Plumbing Code.

Q: What kinds of animals are individuals not permitted to have in the Village of Morton?

Per section 6-3-11 of the Morton Municipal Code, it shall be unlawful for any person to own, use, keep, or permit to be at large within the Village any of the following animals: bees, pigeons, horses, cattle, sheep, ponies, mules, goats, pigs, swine, hogs, ducks, geese, chickens, fur-bearing and game animals, or any other livestock or poultry or any wild or vicious animals dangers to mankind.

Q: Can I park a recreational vehicle, camper, boat trailer and or any other type of trailer on my residential driveway?

Yes, it is permissible to park any of the previously mentioned items on your residential driveway. No recreational vehicle, camper, boat, or trailer shall be parked in such a manner so as to obstruct, in whole or in part, a sidewalk, alley or street.

Motor vehicles, trailers, boats, boat trailers, recreational vehicles and the like must be parked on an all-weather, durable and dustless, asphaltic, interlocking concrete, paver, brick, or cement pavement surface.

Q: Can I park a recreational vehicle, camper, or boat trailer on the public street?

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to park any trailer, whether connected to a vehicle or not, recreational vehicle, camper or boat trailer on any public street or highway within the Village of Morton from 10:00 pm until 6:00am, except as follows:

It shall be lawful for a person, firm, or corporation to park a recreational vehicle, camper or boat trailer for a period not longer than is necessary for the reasonably expeditious loading or unloading of such vehicle, and in no event for a period to exceed forty-eight (48) consecutive hours, on a public street or highway so long as a traffic safety cone not shorter than eighteen (18) inches in height containing retro reflective markings is placed behind and in front of the trailer or vehicle to alert motorists to the presence of the parked trailer and so long as the recreational vehicle, camper or boat trailer is not parked on any curve or street corner. During all periods of time in which a recreational vehicle is parked on a public street or highway, no slide out may be extended on the recreational vehicle or camper.

Q: Are there any ordinances regulating dumpsters for temporary use at my house?

Yes, the following ordinance applies:

    1. There shall be n0 more than one (1) on the property.
    2. The storage capacity shall not exceed thirty (30) cubic yards
    3. The dumpster shall be located as close as practical to the structure and shall not be put on the street or on any right-of-way.
    4. If the dumpster is being used while the occupant is in the process of moving, it shall not be on the property for more than thirty (30) consecutive days or thirty (30) days in a calendar year.
    5. If the dumpster is being used in conjunction with the construction, alteration, or renovation of a principal structure, it shall be removed immediately upon completion of the construction, alteration, or renovation.

Q: Can I have a portable storage unit at my residence?

Yes, the following ordinance applies:

    1. There shall be no more than one (1) portable outdoor storage unit on a property. Stacking of portable outdoor storage units on top of each other is not permissible.
    2. The property on which the portable storage unit is located must also have a principal building.
    3. No portable outdoor storage unit shall remain on the property for more than thirty (30) consecutive days or more than a total of thirty (30) days in any calendar year.
    4. Portable outdoor storage units shall not exceed one hundred twenty-eight (128) square feet in size.
    5. Portable outdoor storage units shall be placed only on a hard surface.
    6. Portable outdoor storage units shall not be placed in any location that obstructs traffic visibility.
    7. No permit or permit fee shall be required for any portable outdoor storage unit.
    8. Portable outdoor storage units shall be maintained in good condition. Free from rust, peeling paint, and other forms of visible decay.

Q: I am having work done at my house and a contractor wants to put a sign in my yard that advertises their business. Is this permitted?

Yes, the following ordinance applies: One (1) construction sign not exceeding sixteen (16) square feet is permitted for a time period no longer than necessary to complete the activity to which it refers. If the sign refers to more than one (1) activity, then the activity completed last shall apply with respect to the time the sign may exist.

Q: What is allowed regarding signage for selling or renting a house?

Signs advertising the rental, sale, or lease of the property on which the sign is located may be placed on the subject lot when the property is offered for rental, sale, or lease, and shall be removed from the subject lot within not more than fifteen (15) days following the sale, lease, or rental of the subject property.

Q: What is allowed regarding open house signs?

An open house sign relating to real estate sales/lease of not more than nine (9) square feet in area per side may be placed for directional signs from Friday until the following Sunday at 6:00 p.m. in a public right of way with permission of the owner of the property abutting the right of way.

Q: I am planning to operate a business from my home, is this allowed?

Yes, certain businesses can be conducted from the primary residence.  Please see the Home Occupation Permit Application and 10-13-4 of the Morton Municipal Code for guidelines.  If you feel your business meets these guidelines, complete the application and return it to the zoning office for review and the issuance of a “Home Occupation Permit”.


Attention Village of Morton Enterprise Zone Participants

  • Beginning January 1, 2016, a new zone will replace the current Village of Morton Enterprise Zone
  • This new zone will be called the “Southern Tazewell Enterprise Zone” and will have a new application and associated materials
  • Benefits that will continue with this new zone include sales tax abatement along with ½ price building permits. Property tax abatements will be granted on a case by case basis depending on how qualifying criteria is met
  • Benefits will not include discounted plumbing and electrical permits, or reduced tap-in fees
  • View the Enterprise Zone Map to see if your business/property is located within the Enterprise Zone.