Notice from the Village of Morton to Our Water & Sewer Customers
We understand that this is a stressful time for our community and for the households we serve. Please know that we are here for you and are committed to taking all steps necessary to maintain a safe, reliable water service. We are well-prepared to continue providing water service throughout this pandemic. We have staff and infrastructure in place to maintain water service around the clock to help keep our customers healthy, clean and hydrated.
We wanted to let you know that you can continue to use your tap water. Here are some brief items to note:
- The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends that Americans continue to use, and drink tap water as usual.
- COVID-19 has not been detected in drinking water supplies.
- According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released the following statement:
- “Conventional water treatment methods that use filtration and disinfections, such as those in most municipal drinking water systems, should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.”
- The World Health Organization adds:
- “presence of the COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking-water supplies and based on current evidence the risk to water supplies is low.”
- Handwashing using tap water is critical to preventing the spread of COVID-19. CDC and other health organizations recommend frequent hand washing for at least 20 seconds each time. Up-to-date information from EPA on COVID-19 and water can be found at epa.gov/coronavirus.
- Remember that your toilet should not be used as a trash can. Do not treat other personal hygiene items like you do toilet paper. Please do not flush paper towels, “flushable” wipes, napkins, tampons, cotton balls, dental floss or other substances. Flushing non-biodegradable items can result in backups and overflows.
Given the importance of hygiene and sanitation to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we are postponing water shutoffs until further notice.
If your home or business is vacated for an extended period of time it is important to follow these steps upon resuming use of the water system:
- An adult should be present to make sure there are no leaks and systems are intact.
- Allow the water to run from each faucet, shower head, hose and toilet for at least 10 minutes prior to use.
- Run water from the cold-water lines first, then the hot water lines. It can take approximately 45 minutes to completely flush a typical 40-gallon hot water tank.
- Replace all point-of-use filters, including the filter on refrigerators.